1. “In 311 days, the U.S. experienced 307 mass shootings. The latest happened at a country-western themed bar in Thousand Oaks, Calif., where a gunman opened fire Wednesday night on patrons, killing 12 including a sheriff’s sergeant who was among the first to respond.”
-Brett Molina, USA Today.
2. “After a Marine Corps veteran stormed into a country music dance hall in California and killed 12 people, investigators said there is no clear motive behind the attack. Authorities say Ian Long, 28, fired a Glock .45-caliber handgun without a word as patrons line-danced at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks late Wednesday night. He first shot a security guard and a woman working at the counter, but authorities say there was no indication he was targeting employees.”
-Nicole Chavez and Holly Yan, CNN.
3. “Telemachus Orfanos saw too much horror. First, he survived last year’s massacre at a Las Vegas country music festival, where 58 people were slain. He was also at the Borderline Bar and Grill on Wednesday night, when a gunman, dressed in black, killed 12 people. One of them was Orfanos who went by the nickname Tel. He was 27.”
-Jessica Guynn, Rick Jervis and Elizabeth Weise, USA Today.
4. “Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean, who is leading the response to the mass shooting at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, Calif., is heartbroken that this will be his last major effort before he retires on Friday. At a press conference Thursday morning, Dean was asked how it feels to be faced with investigating the massacre that left 13 people dead, including a sheriff’s sergeant and the gunman, and sent hundreds fleeing from a popular country music bar on a ‘college night.’ ‘It can’t be any worse,’ he replied.”
-Michael Walsh, Yahoo News.
5. “Thousand Oaks, California, described as one of the nation’s safest cities, was now on the long list of places affected by a mass shooting.”
-Faith Karimi, CNN.