Posted on

CNN Sues Trump Administration Over Removal of Jim Acosta’s White House Credential, Fox Backs CNN — 6 Things to Know

1. Last week at a formal news conference, CNN’s chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta frustrated President Trump with persistent questions about immigration. Hours later, press secretary Sarah Sanders announced the administration removed Acosta’s credentials.

2. Sanders said that the administration was taking Acosta’s credentials away because he “placed his hands on a White House intern who had tried to take his microphone away during the news conference.” This claim, however, was proved false.

3. Now, on Tuesday, CNN sued the Trump administration, insisting that Acosta regains his credential. Specifically, “The network argued that the removal of Mr. Acosta’s White House press pass constituted a violation of his First Amendment rights to freely report on the government. CNN also alleged that the administration had violated Mr. Acosta’s due process rights by revoking his credentials without warning.”

4. CNN and Sanders then went back and forth. CNN said, “While the suit is specific to CNN and Acosta, this could have happened to anyone. If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials.” Sanders responded, “This is just more grandstanding from CNN, and we will vigorously defend against this lawsuit.”

5. On Tuesday, the White House Correspondents’ Association criticized the removal of Acosta’s credential. So did ABC correspondent Sam Donaldson. Fox News is also supporting CNN and Acosta.

6. The law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher is representing CNN. Sanders, Trump, his chief of staff John Kelly, the head of White House communications strategy Bill Shine, and the Secret Service will be defendants in the lawsuit.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/business/media/cnn-jim-acosta-trump-lawsuit.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *